The heart of the OPA mission is to:
- Promote standards of excellence in the practice of aviculture;
- Protect the rights of all aviculturists to keep and breed birds;
- Protect the right to own pet birds; and
- Serve the avicultural community as its conscience, watchdog and forum.
- We shall seek recognition of aviculture as a profession.
- We shall provide aviculturists with the means of working together as an industry.
- We shall provide an environment where members of the entire avicultural community can come together to share their knowledge and concerns.
- We shall provide aviculturists with the tools to serve the pet bird market, resulting in benefits for both the pet bird owner and the birds.
- We believe that the practice of aviculture is a valued profession deserving of recognition.
- We believe that the cornerstones of aviculture are integrity, knowledge, responsible avian care, and a sense of stewardship both in the perpetuation of bird species and in our relationships with fellow aviculturists.
- We believe that an informed public will be able to understand the difference between avian welfare and animal rights, and will not hestitate to take a stand with aviculturists, supporting welfare, but rejecting the advance of an animal rights agenda which seeks to encumber aviculturists, pet owners and authoritative bodies with unnecessary legislation.
WE WILL THEREFORE:
- Establish the profession of aviculture and promote its practice;
- Foster an atmosphere of mutual respect between members;
- Encourage ethical business and husbandry practices;
- Generate networks of assistance;
- Develop an avicultural knowledge base; and
- Protect the rights of the industry.